Gepost vrijdag 21 Mei 2004 @ 02:45
Deze misschien ?
by Fairfield & Co, Glasgow in 1927 for the Bibby Line's Rangoon
service. This was a 10,623 gross ton, twin screw motorship with a
service speed of 14 knots. Her details were - length 502ft x beam
60.4ft (153m x 18.4m), one funnel, four masts and accommodation for
275-1st class passengers. Launched on 20th Apr.1927, she was used on
the Liverpool - Rangoon service until she was commissioned as an Armed
Merchant Cruiser at Calcutta on Oct.30th 1939. On 14th Oct.1940 she was
torpedoed by the U.137 while northwest of Ireland but managed to reach
Liverpool where she was repaired and resumed service after six months.
She was again torpedoed, this time by the submarine U.214 on 18th
Aug.1942 in the Atlantic, but again managed to reach port. In May 1943
she was refitted as a troop transport and continued in this service
until returned to the Bibby Line in Oct.1948. She was overhauled and
rebuilt as an emigrant ship, with accommodation for 650 passengers, and
three of her masts removed, and on 9th August 1949 commenced her first
Liverpool - Sydney voyage. In Feb.1953 she was again used for trooping
duties for the Korean War and on Feb.10th 1957 was laid up at
Liverpool. She arrived at Newport, Mon. on Jul.11th that year and was
scrapped by the British Iron & Steel Corp. [Great Passenger Ships
of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.3,p.66]
(2) was built in 1927 by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co.
at Glasgow with a tonnage of 10550grt, a length of 483ft 7in, a beam of
60ft 2in and a service speed of 15.5 knots. Sister of the Shropshire
she was launched on 20th April 1927 and replaced the Warwickshire (1)
in the July. By 1934 her log recorded that she had steamed 447,361
miles without ever having to stop because of engine trouble. She was
inbound when the Second World War broke out on 3rd September 1939 and
was ordered to Calcutta where she was converted into Armed Merchant
Cruiser HMS Cheshire. Armed with 6 x 6" and Anti-aircraft guns she was
used on North Atlantic patrols. On 14th October 1940, when west of
Ireland, she was torpedoed in her No.2 hold by U-137 and although she
was taken in tow by two rescue tugs she had to be beached at
Carrickfergus. While she was there a German bomb dropped close to her
but caused no damage. The Liverpool Salvage Association's Ranger
patched her up and she limped into Belfast before proceeding to
Liverpool's Gladstone Dock where repairs took six months. On 14th March
1942, when off Cape Town, she stopped the German raider Doggerbank
which, being the captured Speybank of Bank Line, identified herself as
the Levenbank and was allowed to proceed. Later, on 24th July, she took
Lambert's Temple Inn in tow and took her into Point Noire after she had
shed her propeller. On 18th August she was torpedoed again in the North
Atlantic by U-214 but managed to reach port and while she was being
repaired was converted into a troopship. At 0930 on 7th June 1944 she
arrived at Juno Beach, Normandy in line ahead with the Lancashire,
Devonshire and Worcestershire with, between them, 10,000 troops. During
1945 she repatriated troops and on 25th September 1946 arrived at
Gibraltar with the residents who had been evacuated to Northern Ireland
in 1940. On 5th October 1948 she was returned to Bibby's while at Port
Said and returned to Liverpool where she was refurbished to carry 650
passengers. She commenced her first sailing from Liverpool to Sydney on
9th August 1949. She returned to trooping on 5th February 1953 and
carried military personnel during the Korean War. She ended her last
voyage on 10 February 1957 and was laid up at Langton Dock in
Liverpool. On 11th July 1957 she arrived at Newport, Monmouthshire
where she was broken up by J. Cashmore.
(Photo: Bibby Line Group)
Ik vind steeds meer.
Als U de woorden "Bibby" en "Cheshire" bij Google bijv. intikt, dan rollen er wel meer gegevens uit.
|Jan van der Doe
Gepost vrijdag 21 Mei 2004 @ 14:11
gebouwd;1972 bij Fairfield SB & Engineering Co. Glasgouw;
eig. Bibby Bros & Co. Liverpool;
brt. 10.623; afm.153,0x18,4;
sn. 15,5 mijl; 2 schroeven, 7700 pk;
pass. 221, toeristenklasse 434 emigranten klasse; gesloopt in 1957, New Port (Wales)
schip werd gebouwd met vier masten en voer op de lijndienst naar
Rangoon via Antwerpen.In 1939 werd het schip omgebouwd tot hulpkruiser
in Calcutta.Op 14 oktober werd het schip getorpodeerd door de U-137.
Naar Liverpool gesleept en gerepareerd. 18 augustus 1942 werd het schip
opnieuw getorpodeerd, maar bereikte wer veilig een haven.Daarna werd
het schip ingezet voor het vervoer van troepen.
In 1948 werd het
ingericht voor het vervoer van emigranten voor 650 personen. Ze voer
vooral op Australie en op de thuisreis werden dan militairen en
In 1957 werd het schip gesloopt, na enige tijd opgelegd te zijn.
Jan van der Doe.
208-500 Ferrier Crt.
Ook te bereiken via firstname.lastname@example.org